The Perth Chinese New Year Fair 2020 will be held on Sunday 2 February from 12 noon to 9 pm in James Street and Perth Cultural Centre in Northbridge. This will be the 9th Fair since its inaugural in the year 2012.
A celebratory street carnival to welcome the lunar new year, Year of the Rat. It will be a free community event open to the public to share the joy of the Chinese New Year while experiencing Chinese culture and customs, the event also embraces the cultural diversity of the Western Australia community as a whole.
The event will kick off with the lighting of firecrackers and Chung Wah Lion and Dragon Dance Troupe performing and parading through James Street to Perth Cultural Centre. The fair will feature significant Chinese Cultures through food and beverage, performing arts, sports, activities, games and community information sharing.
The proposed locations and components of the event include:
Area 1: James Street
(between Lake Street and William Street)
- Stalls offering Chinese street food as well as food and beverage from the various cultural backgrounds. There will be stalls retailing cultural costumes, decorative accessories, games, art and crafts. Community information stalls are also available.
Area 2: Lake Street & James Street
(Francis Street and James Street, and between Mountain Terrace and Lake Street)
- Carnival rides and games
Area 3: Northbridge Piazza
- 1.00pm Lion Dance – Chinese Community Centre WA
- 2.00pm Lion Dance and Martial Arts – Yarn Yee Tong and Choy Lee Fut
- 3.00pm Lion Dance and Martial Arts – Kong Hing Koon
- 4.00pm WA Police Pipe Band
- 7.00pm Multicultural Concert – including official ceremony
- Community Engagement – St John Ambulance, WA Police
- Cultural Activities – Taichi, Qigong, Martial Art, Chinese Line Dancing
Area 4: Murdoch University Cultural Activity Zone Perth Cultural Centre
- 12.00 – 6.00pm Cultural Activities – lion dances, dragon dances, dances, singing, operas, games, competitions, face painting, umbrella painting, Chinese calligraphy, art and craft, workshops, giant Chinese chess boards and Sichuan Majong.
- 1.00pm Event Opening: Lion Dance and Dragon Dance – Greetings by Chung Wah Dragon and Lion Dance Troupe
- 4.00pm Lion Dance – Jimmy Tsui’s Kung Fu School
- 5.00pm Lion and Dragon Dance – Pak Mei Yaolin
- 6.00 – 9.00pm Live Chinese Band – Chinese Live DJ and Rap by SHAH ONE
Please refer to the map below for the location of free parking available for the event. (Click on the map to view in full-size)
Click here to download
Important Information for Northbridge Businesses
The City of Perth has approved temporary road closures in the Northbridge area to facilitate the event ‘Perth Chinese New Year Fair’.
The temporary road closures will take place on 1 until 3 February between 6:00pm until 1:00am, inclusive or until roads are safe to open.
The following roads will be closed:
- James St between William St and Mountain Tce
- Lake St between Roe St and Francis St
Surrounding streets may be affected and detours will apply, parking restriction will be in place and towing may be enforced.
Link to the original post by City of Perth